Sometimes, no matter what you do, life just crashes around you. It’s as if everything has gone into a tailspin and you know that if you want to start feeling better, you have to do something about it. But what?
Here are 52 ways to start feeling better now.
The Old Standbys You Forget To Do
Of course, we can’t neglect the ones you already know, but forget to do.
1. Get active. Breaking a sweat will change your outlook.
2. Avoid the sugar crash. Sure, when you’re feeling terrible you want nothing more than junk food, but it makes you feel worse in the end.
3. Talk to your friends, family, or a therapist. Anyone you trust is a good person to confide in.
4. Get enough sleep. Everyone’s cranky when they’re not sleeping well, and life can’t go as planned when you’re starting off kilter.
Doing what inspires you can help you put life back into perspective. There’s nothing like feeling small in a huge, profound world, or big and powerful in a connected universe to inspire you!
5. Get out into nature.
7. Do some artwork, even if you think it comes out bad. It’s just about the fun of it. (And maybe you get to go to one of those painting and wine places with your girlfriends).
8. Read a great novel.
9. Work on your bucket list. Need help? Download my template below and read my post on 100 Things to Do Before You Die here.
10. Talk to smart people about interesting topics either in person or online.
12. Do a random act of kindness.
13. Watch Ted or Tedx talks.
14. Watch for the good that comes your way. Don’t close your eyes to it. Be expecting it. Notice sychronicities.
15. Read a biography of someone you admire.
18. Write down big ideas.
19. Take a class. You can try a free university course from edX or Coursera or virtually any type of course you can think of. Try Udemy for non-university courses on a ton of different subjects. There’s always LinkedIn Learning as well!
Connect With Your Highest Goals
20.Think about where you want to be in 5 years.
21.Invest in yourself – your education, your personal development, your health and wellbeing and your career.
22.Dream about a big goal you have in your life. Make a plan to go after it.
23.Take action on a goal. Moving forward, even in a small way can make you feel great. Wrack your brain for forgotten goals you may have given up on.
24. Pull out that novel you haven’t worked on in years.
25. Take steps to be who you want to be, not just achieve what you want to achieve or buy what you want to buy.
Do Something Crazy
26. Do something from your bucket list.
27. Push yourself to do better than you thought you could at something you care about.
28. Do a walk or run for a charity.
29. Think of your goals. Now think BIGGER!
30. Plan a vacation to somewhere beautiful.
31. Start a business.
32. Make an exciting, empowering decision there’s no turning back from.
33. Think of 10 new ideas that can help you tackle your tough problem right now.
34. Be genuine.
Feel & Show Gratitude, Love & Kindness
35. Tell someone you love them.
36. Say thank you every chance you get.
37. Forgive someone.
38. Make someone smile.
39. Spend time with someone who needs your help.
40. Be enthusiastic. It will be contagious.
41. Reconnect with people you miss. Call a friend you haven’t talked to in a long time.
Leave Behind The Negative
42. Stop watching the news.
43. Decide to light a positive light inside and let the world see it.
44. Remember where you were and the progress you’ve made.
45. Ask yourself if the problems you’re dealing with today are going to matter in a year or in 5.
46. Find the silver lining in your situation.
47. Create a near-term plan and forget everything else.
48. Ask for help.
49. Don’t give up.
50. Notice the positive in every day.
51. Don’t complain.
There you have it! 52 ways to start feeling better when things are not going your way. Do any of these work for you? Any new ones you’re going to give a try? And any good ones that I missed? Please share!