Is your granny one of those kindly old ladies who won’t let you leave without pressing a $5 bill into your hand?
Or does she insist you take home enough lasagna to last about 3 months?
Your granny is persistent.
She just won’t take no for an answer.
But you don’t get mad.
You reluctantly take her gifts and, secretly happy, go home to reheat some seconds.
How can you learn from your granny so that you too can get your way without alienating people?
You’d like to know how to be persistent too. . .
How To Be Persistent Like Your Granny
1. Be kind: Even if what you’re angling for is not to give away free stuff like Granny, you’ll be much more likely to get your way if you can be nice.
2. Give something: Notice how Granny isn’t mailing lasagna and money to your house? Well, not unless it’s your birthday. She only gives you stuff when you show up. Likewise, you’re going to have to give something back in order to get what you really want.
3. Pretend you can’t hear: Granny isn’t really as hard of hearing as you think. She just knows when to tune people out. If what you want is important to you, keep your eyes on the prize and don’t let naysayers get the best of you.
4. Be a tough old goat: I don’t know about yours, but my granny had seven kids. Eight if you count the dog. Granny knows what it is to put in a long day’s work. Take a page out of her book and never, never, never give up.
5. Be shockingly respectable: Could you really imagine saying “no” to Granny? I don’t mean the half-hearted no that you give when she breaks out the tupperware.
I mean could you really, truly tell Granny that you don’t want her stuff?
And that’s because you love and respect her too much to hurt her feelings.
Earn some status and reputation (see #2) that you can lean on when it comes time to ask for what you want.
Being persistent isn’t just about asking (and asking and asking) for what you want.
That’s being as persistent as my 5 year-old.
No, Granny has a special way about her.
Using steps 1 through 5 she’s earned her way to a place where people just can’t say no.
But you don’t have to wait until you’re Granny’s age to get her skill.
You can be as persistent and get your way, just like Granny, while still having people love and admire you.
Tell me, what do you have to do to get what you want?